What's Happening 9/12


Progress Reports:

Progress reports will go home next week. There are not as many grades at the moment since no grades were taken the 1st week of school.

If you would like to see your child's grades that are posted online ahead of time you can sign up for 

Home Access Center

See how to sign up here: http://www.midwayisd.org/cms/lib/TX01000662/Centricity/Domain/13/HAC%20Online%20Registration%20Directions.pdf

Why Some Grades for your Child may be Blank:

There will be times when your child makes a less than desirable grade. When this situations happens. I give the kids an opportunity to re-test and retake.

For example:

Sally makes a 50 on a quiz.
Ms. Calderon records the grade on a paper copy so she knows to pull that child for a small group to re-teach her that standard.
Ms. Calderon also keeps the original grade so she can staple it to the re-take quiz
After the child masters the standard Ms. Calderon gives Sally the quiz again. 
The better grade THEN goes in the grade book. 

Please keep in mind that while I am ensuring that your child can master the standard, I am also having to teach the new lessons the following week. Therefore, this may not go as quickly as you imagine. However, by doing this I am ensuring that no child is left behind. 

How Math Tests Work in 3rd Grade

Kids take a math test that covers the big unit that we taught. The teacher will record the data of the children's scores. All of the 3rd grade teachers will meet and group the kids based on what they need. For example, if a child made a 90-100 on the quiz, they will be extended with higher level thinking concepts. 

Once groups are made, every day for 30 minutes a day, the kids will switch classes and be re-taught the previous unit. 

At the conclusion of 2 weeks, the kids will re-take their math test and will receive the better grade.

This is the reason you will see a CFA grade in the grade book but it will not be sent home until the re-test is given. 

Super secret code #3:

I am sad to report that last week I had ZERO children turn in the secret code. I use this secret code as an accountability for myself and the parents. If I am not receiving and codes, then I will assume parents do not need me to communicate with them weekly. Your child is also receiving $5 each week the code is brought back to me! J

Thank you so much for reading this newsletter! 
Please have your child write down their favorite sport and I will give them $5 to spend in our class store! 




Signature

No comments

Back to Top